A refrigerator with a built-in water filter is undoubtedly one of the most valuable and convenient innovations of this tech-savvy day and age. With an appliance like this, always having clean and safe drinking water in the home is a breeze, not to mention less costly and very easily accessible.
So, when it comes to high-quality appliances, LG is among the leading brands in the industry and a top choice for many who want a refrigerator equipped with a water filter.
The one thing you do have to remember if you have this appliance is always to be mindful of maintaining it. An LG refrigerator with a water filter is a hassle-free way to obtain sparkling clean water.
However, to keep it that way, you must ensure the appliance is in good working condition. And a big factor in making sure it works well is by changing the water filter when it is due for replacement.
Timely replacement of your refrigerator’s water filter is the way to ensure your water and ice always taste great — and are safe for consumption for you and your family! So, how to replace the LG refrigerator water filter when needed? Well, we are here to help!
What is An LG Refrigerator Water Filter?
Your refrigerator is undoubtedly among the essential appliances in your home. This appliance keeps your beverages icy cold and your food unspoiled and safe.
An LG refrigerator with a water filter is a refrigerator with a water and ice dispenser. With just a press of a button, you can get fresh, clean, great-tasting water or ice — literally at the tip of your fingers! This makes accessing cold water or clean and safe ice even easier and more convenient.
An LG refrigerator water filter is the essential factor in your refrigerator, providing you with that clean, fresh H2O you long for. So you must stay on top of maintaining it. To ensure that you always have fresh and clean water straight from your refrigerator, you need to change your LG refrigerator water filter in a timely manner. And you have to make sure you do this regularly. This is so your LG refrigerator can continuously give you what you need: water and ice that is refreshing, yummy, and, most importantly, clean!
How to Tell When it is Time To Change Up Your Water Filter?
The general recommendation is that your refrigerator water filter should be replaced every six months or half a year. Here are some of the tell-tale signs that your LG refrigerator water filter needs to be changed to a new one already:
- LG water filters need to be replaced regularly, every six months or sometimes even sooner than that, depending on how often it is used.
- Some models come with a filter change alert, and this will indicate when your filter is due for a replacement.
- Check if your appliance’s water flow is going slower than usual – if this is the case, it may indicate a build-up already in your water filter, which is a sign that it is time for a replacement.
- If your ice or your water starts having an unpleasant taste or odor, this is also a sign that you have to switch up your water filter.
To ensure that you always have clean and fresh water, the basic recommendation is to replace your LG refrigerator’s water filter every six months. But even if you consciously replace your water filter when the six-month mark rolls around, sometimes that may not be enough as you may need to change it sooner.
This depends on your frequency of use. So keep an eye out for the signs that we mentioned above! Even if it is not six months yet, it may already be time for your LG refrigerator water filter to be replaced. Let your appliance be your guide!
How To Replace LG Refrigerator Water Filter: A Simple Step By Step Guide?
The following easy and simple steps will be able to guide you in replacing your LG water filter with no problem at all. With these easy-to-follow steps, you are sure to keep enjoying fresh and clean drinking water and ice!
How To Change Water Filter For LG Side-By-Side Refrigerator?
Most of the LG side-by-side refrigerators come equipped with a water filter that is located inside the refrigerator at the top left corner. If this is the type of LG refrigerator you’ve got and you want to replace the water filter, read on and be guided by these steps!
- Take off the top shelf. You can remove this by tilting it up and then pulling it straight out.
- Find the “Push” button on the filter compartment and then press it. After you press this button, pull it down to lower the compartment door.
- Next is to pull your old water filter downwards, after which you will gently remove it by pulling it towards you.
- Take off the plastic wrapper of the replacement filter.
- Now, align the tabs that are on the side of the filter with the filter compartment. Gently push in the filter. Once you see that the filter is securely placed, lift it upwards.
- Lift up the filter door, and then push it until you see that it has clicked in place.
- The next step is not to replace the refrigerator shelf.
- Before using the new filter, make sure to dispense and then dispose of around 2.5 gallons of water. Do this in intervals of 30 seconds so that you are able to remove contaminants or trapped air.
Also Read: Under Sink Water Filter
How To Change Water Filter For LG French Door Refrigerator?
If you own an LG French door refrigerator, the water filter will most likely be found on the left interior door. Just follow these easy steps to change the water filter in this type of appliance!
- Switch off the water valve responsible for supplying the water line in the refrigerator.
- Dispense the water that may still remain.
- Open the left door of the refrigerator and then take out the bottom door bin. This can be done by lifting the bottom door bin up and out on both ends.
- The old filter should then be swung out gently, and then grasp the bottom and turn it counterclockwise until you see that the filter has been released.
- Now, unwrap your replacement filter and take off the top cap.
- Put the top of the filter into the filter mount of the compartment. Turn this clockwise until you feel that the filter has locked in place.
- The next step is pushing the new filter’s bottom into the water filter compartment.
- You should replace the door bin, which can be done by sliding it down and pushing it until it is securely in place.
- Switch the water valve back on.
- The last step before you can start enjoying your new water filter is to dispense and dispose of about 2.5 gallons of water. Do this in 30-second intervals to prime your new water filter.
What If My LG Water Filter Gets Stuck?
Sometimes, you may encounter some difficulties as you try to remove your old water filter from the compartment of the refrigerator. Don’t worry because this is perfectly normal! It happens, and knowing how to troubleshoot when it does will help you to get past this setback breezily. So if your LG water filter gets stuck, simply follow these tips so that you can safely remove it.
- If your refrigerator’s water filter is found in the top corner of the appliance’s interior, make sure that you always remove its top shelf. Doing so will give you more space as you pull down the filter, allowing for much easier removal of the water filter.
- Suppose lingering water pressure occurs in the refrigerator’s water line. In that case, this can make it more difficult for you to remove the water filter. So remember that after you switch off the water line, you should always dispense whatever water remains so that the pressure decreases before you remove the old water filter.
- Now, suppose these did not help, and your water filter is still stuck. In that case, you may contact a professional service that can help assist you in changing your LG refrigerator water filter.
Resetting The LG Water Filter Light
Some LG refrigerators come equipped with an indicator light to determine your water filter’s status. This is located close to the dispenser. This light will indicate when it is time for you to replace your water filter.
If your LG refrigerator has this, you should reset it after your water filter replacement. After changing the water filter on your fridge, ensure the light is reset by holding down the “reset” or “filter” button — do this for five seconds. Once this is done, the water filter light should then switch off until your water filter is due for replacement once again.
For the best performance of your LG refrigerator water filter, make sure that you are up to date when it comes to replacement. This will maintain quality and allow you to always have fresh, clean, and great-tasting water within reach!