The elegant Whirlpool French Door refrigerators have become a staple in many American kitchens. Is it one in yours too? If so, you must know what a relief its cold water dispenser is on those hot summer days. But to keep getting this relief, you need to ensure your Whirlpool’s water filter is squeaky clean!
Whirlpool French Door refrigerators with water dispensers come with replaceable filter screens that churn the pure water or ice out. Keeping them clean guarantees pure water or ice for you and prolongs your fridge’s life.
Wondering how you can clean the filter? Check out the step-by-step guide below and learn all you need to know!
Where is The Water Filter On a Whirlpool French Door?
Before we discuss the technicalities of changing the water filter of a French door whirlpool refrigerator, you should know where the dispenser lies.
Open your Whirlpool and check the upper right-hand corner to locate the filter. You’ll spot a flap or cover beneath which the filter lies. You can screw the cover open and unscrew the filter to pull it out.
When your filter tends to get dirtier than usual every six months, the indicator will show you that it needs to be changed. When you see the clear indicators blinking, it’s time to shop for a new filter.
These filters are easily replaceable and need no professional supervision. With a bit of help from our side, you can DIY it pretty perfectly.
How to Change The Water Filter?
As discussed above, you can change your Whirlpool French Door refrigerator on your own. However, you have to keep a few pointers in mind.
Filters are a slippery slope. You must maintain proper hygiene while changing them. Even the most minor impurities could give you compromised water quality. Moreover, the quality of your filter screen should also be as good as the original one’s. Therefore, it’s always best to directly purchase the right filter for your model from Whirlpool.
The water screen can only work when using a high-polymer, toxin-free filter. Whirlpool French Doors are pretty popular, so finding their filters will be hassle-free. You can either go to a licensed Whirlpool store, buy it from their website, or retail stores like Walmart, Costco, etc.
There Are 4 Different Types of Water Filter in a Whirlpool French Door
- Type 1:- This filter lies near the O-rings of the dispenser.
- Type 2:- This filter lies at the top right corner of one of the doors.
- Type 3:- This filter lies on the left side of the bottom grille.
- Type 4:- This filter lies in the upper right corner of the fridge chamber.
If you decide to shop for these filters online, ensure you’re getting them from a legit seller.
Once you are done getting the right filter, follow these easy steps with utmost care to change it:
How to Replace Type 1 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter ?
As the machine dispenses both ice and water, we need two filters. The first filter that lies near the O-rings of the dispenser has to be replaced using the following steps.
- Locate the filter in the unit’s cooling chamber in the upper-right corner. Gently remove it.
- Unbox the new filter and inspect the O-rings for defects. Rotate the filter in a way that makes the arrow upwards.
- After that, gently insert your filter and secure it. Use minimal force to close as the dispenser is delicate. Then close the door and run 3 liters of water to activate the filter in your unit.
How to Replace Type 2 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter ?
Next, replace the filter at the top right corner of one of the doors. Follow these steps to change type 2 filter of your Whirlpool French Door.
- To begin, find the filter in the upper right corner of the refrigerator. Pull your door off the hinges and the screen down, angled downwards.
- After that, take the filter out by rotating it clockwise.
- Unscrew the cover from the new filter and unbox it.
- Add the new filters so that the arrow is pointing upwards. Twist the filter clockwise and close the door when everything is in place.
- Run some water through the filter to test its functionality.
How to Replace Type 3 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter ?
The type 3 filter is situated on the left side of the bottom grille. Here’s how you can change it:
- Find the filter and then click the eject button.
- After that, remove the filter and unscrew the cap by spinning it anticlockwise.
- Put the lid away from the O-rings and unbox the new filter.
- Align the new filter so that the arrow points upwards.
- Fit the cover on the filter by twisting the cap clockwise.
- Gently press the filter into the filter cavity until it fits. Flush some water through it to check its functioning.
How To Replace Type 4 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter?
This is the last filter in the upper right corner of the fridge chamber, which you can change pretty quickly. All you need to do is:
- Press the button to remove the cap.
- Now pull the old filter out by rotating it anticlockwise.
- After that, remove the cover from the O-rings and inspect the rings to ensure they are in excellent shape.
- Align the new filter and insert it by rotating the filter clockwise.
- Finally, shut it close and flush the dispenser with around 4 gallons of water. Doing this will clean the new filter and get it to work.
Q1. Should I Turn off my Fridge’s Water Supply Before Changing The Water Filter?
You do not need to turn off your Whirlpool French Door Fridge’s water supply before starting to change its filter. In fact, turning it off might make it more difficult for you to replace the filter and later flush it.
Q2. Where is The Water Filter Reset Button on my Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator?
The water filter reset button is right where the filter is located, i.e., inside the fridge’s top right corner. If you’re having trouble locating this button or any other issues while trying to replace the filter, you can get in touch with WaterSeer.org experts and ask them all you need to know.
Q3. How to Turn off The Filter Light on a Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator?
When the filter light of your fridge is on, it’s a sign that the filter needs replacement. It will automatically turn off once you install the new filter. But if it doesn’t, you can always use the reset filter button to turn it off.
Whirlpool french door refrigerators are pretty easy to work with. If you carefully follow our guide above, you should have zero trouble replacing their water filters. Keep paying attention to the indicator light, and also look out for other signs of a filter that needs replacement. Save this article to come back to it later, or comment your questions down below!